The importance of sleep, and getting more!
Sleep boosts your immunity, helps you maintain better eating habits, helps mood, improves focus, and improves your overall health. Sleep is about recharging your body and your brain. Intuitively you already know this. Ever get 2 or 3 nights of poor sleep in a row? The cumulative effects are noticeable. We become less tolerant of stress, more irritable, and way more tired.
Don’t short change yourself when it comes to sleep. Some simple but effective ideas:
- Turn off your cell phone and devices starting 60 minutes before you go to bed. The light emitted from televisions and mobile devices really upsets our sleep cycle. The benefits of ‘unplugging’ are well documented.
- Dedicate your bedroom to two activities: sleep and sex. Avoid watching TV or using your ipad/phone in bed.
- Soak your feet in warm water about 90 minutes before bedtime. Some believe this helps lower your core body temperature, which is a great way to induce sleep.
- Sleep in a cool room.
- Try sleeping with weighted blankets. A recent study suggests some people find that the constant ‘hug’ of a weighted blanket enhances sleep.
- Lay out your clothes and pack your lunch the night before. If worry about tomorrow morning gets in the way of tonight’s sleep, try having less to worry about by being prepared for tomorrow even if only in small ways.