Have you moved recently or started a new job? Here are 6 ways you can make friends in your new environment:
1. Put yourself out there. If you’ve recently moved, volunteer in your community. Depending on where you choose to volunteer, this is a good way to meet people who may have similar interests as you. If you’ve started a new job, start or join a carpool, this is a great way to get to know the people you spend a significant amount of time with. If you’ve just moved to a new neighborhood, try walking your dog, this is a good way to socialize with other dog lovers and a good opportunity for your dog to socialize as well.
2. Invite a new neighbor or colleague to get dinner. Getting to know the people you work with is important, especially if you’re with them on a regular basis.
3. Get involved. If your job is involved in a community sport, this is a great opportunity for you to get to know your colleagues outside of the work environment.
4. Take a class. Taking classes is a great way to meet new people and make lasting friendships. Not only are you gaining knowledge, but you have the opportunity to make a friend. Take a class that interests you and you’ll probably make a friend with the same interest and maybe even others!
5. Get spiritual. Find a religious, spiritual or like-minded group in your area and meet people there. You already know that you will share something in common with the people you’ll meet!
6. Be yourself. This is probably the best way to make real friends. Don’t waste your time trying to befriend someone who you can’t be yourself around. If you be yourself and they accept you, then the time with them is well worth your while.